We're an affiliate
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains links to products that I may receive compensation from at no additional cost to you, we really appreciate it!
Are hiking boots good for snow? It is a question most hikers still find hard to get the right answer. The answer to the question is yes, with many hiking boots that support the snow period, but some critical criteria have to be strictly considered.
Some features should never be overlooked if you are considering using your hiking boot during the snow period,they include proper traction, adequate grip, resistance to water, insulated inner, and many more, which we will discuss later on this page.
- 1 4 key components of hiking boots
- 2 4 most popular hiking boots for snow
- 3 4 things to consider before buying hiking boots for snow
- 4 4 Additional winter boots accessories
- 5 Conclusion
4 key components of hiking boots
Getting your desired hiking boot requires that you put some important things into consideration. There are many factors that you need not overlook if, indeed, you ever want to appreciate your investment continually.
So, let’s dive into some of the vital factors you should consider.
- Durability: Most hiking boots are more massive and stiffer, due to the materials they are made from. One of the essential factors that you should never overlook is the boot’s durability, as it tells you what the boot supports. The durability of a boots reveals that which you can do with it. Also, the durability determines the lifespan of the boot, aside from your ways of using it
- Waterproof: Hiking isn’t just for the summer, and that means you have to hit the mountain sometimes during winter, which means you need the right accessory for both seasons. If you are getting a boot, you can use it during the winter season, and during the snow period, you should opt for the one with a waterproof feature. Not all hiking shoes have this feature, so you should be fully informed of what you are about getting. The upper part, the insole, and the outsole should all repel water and never retain, which will help to keep you comfortable during hiking
- Insulation: Also, one of the features that should never miss out in the construction and design of a hiking boot to make it comfy and convenient for you is the insulation feature. Not all hiking boots come with the feature, but it is an important one you should never overlook. Thinsulate is the material integrated with the design and construction, which is responsible for trapping human heat from the feet to ensure the toe remains warm for as long you wear the boot. Also, it makes the boot breathable to enhance the long-term wear of the boot. Insulation of a boot is either removable or built-in. Built-in insulation is made ofsynthetic material or a down filling while the removable is made from synthetic materials or light wool. The insulation of winter hiking boots ranges from 200 grams to 800-gram insulation.
- Proper Fit: Apart from the exterior design and some other features that might inspire you to choose a boot above the rest, you should consider the boot’s proper fit. If a boot will not fit you properly, the whole design is of no use. So, you are to opt for a hiking boot with all parts that will support your leg for a perfect snug fit
4 most popular hiking boots for snow
Below are some of the quality versatile hiking boots you can consider without wasting your time and energy searching for the right choice for you in the market
1. KEEN Men's Summit County Waterproof Winter Boot
This is the current price of these KEEN Men’s Summit County Waterproof Winter Boot available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
The KEEN Men’s Summit County Boot is an excellent option for those in search of a long-lasting boot that can be used during the snow. You will undoubtedly delight in the design and construction of the boots as it offers all you ever need to have a better performance.
Your coordination and balance on terrains filled with snow are never compromised with the help of the rugged rubber outsole that offers adequate traction. You can walk smoothly without the fear of falling, which makes it an excellent investment for you.
The boot boasts of 450-gram keen, which is a great feature that helps to keep your toes warm for a more extended period without any form of discomfort. The ultimate grip and upper 350-gram keen ensure that the heat from your feet doesn’t escape to keep the boot warm all through your time in the snow.
It is entirely made from leather material and yet resistance to water, so you have nothing to worry about if you find yourself walking through a massive pile of snow on your way.
Furthermore, the boot has a breathable membrane that makes it so convenient for you to wear for a more extended period.
2. Kamik Men's Greenbay 4 Cold-Weather Boot
This is the current price of these Kamik Men’s Greenbay 4 Cold-Weather Boot available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
Not all winter hiking boots can give you the comfort and freedom you desire when walking in the snow or during cold weather season. Still, Kamik Men’s Greenbay 4 Cold-Weather Boot offers you all you need to perform excellently while hiking or mountaineering during the snow.
It is the right boot to call upon during the harshest weather condition. It is built with lightweight, durable waterproof nylon shell with lace lock snow collar, which makes it fit and perfect for long term use. It is 100 percent waterproofed.
Furthermore, the design ensures that a considerable part of your leg is covered as it has gaiters style. The synthetic rubber sole has enough traction to keep you balanced on any terrain, especially on slippery ones such as snow and wet surfaces.
The boot has a mid-foot adjustable Velcro strap with 8mm thermal guard removable liners, which helps keep your feet warm and comfortable. It is breathable, easy to wear, and very straightforward to maintain.
3. Baffin Men's Snow Monster Insulated All-Weather Boot
This is the current price of these Baffin Men’s Snow Monster available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
Baffin Men’s Snow Monster Insulated All-Weather Boot may be the right boot if you plan on getting a boot you can rely on in the cold or snow for hours without any form of discomfort. The boots’ design shows it is not made to get wet but only to keep your feet warm.
The boot is rated at -70C, it is not heavy or bulky even though it appears as such and is effortless to move from one place to another. It is blessed with a memory foam insole that does a great trick to ensure you remain comfortable to work for longer hours.
The boots are also warm, which makes it a perfect fit for the winter season, and so, it requires that you use a light pair of moisture-wicking socks so that your feet do not get wet due to the sweat. It is made of 100 percent leather and textile, which contributes to the boot’s quality lifespan.
Furthermore, the boot features bungee chord speed lacing system with adjustable circumference, and the synthetic sole ensures that you do not fall off from any surface with the help of excellent traction.
4. Vasque Coldspark UltraDry Men's Boot
This is the current price of these Vasque Coldspark UltraDry Men’s Boot available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
The Vasque Coldspark UltraDry Men’s Boot is another wonderfully designed boot for hikers who cherish a lightweight construction with a long-lasting lifespan. It is a great hiking boot that supports snow with amazing features that complement the boot’s primary purpose.
The design of the boot comes with a padded collar and tongue, which offers additional comfort. For a perfect snug fit, you have a lace-up closure with metal speed lacers, and with the heel pull, you can quickly enter the boot without difficulty.
Also, the boot boasts of an ultra-dry waterproofing system that offers you prolonged-lasting dryness, which is the ideal form of breathability needed to remain comfortable in the boot. The boot features 200g 3M Thinsulate system, dual-density EVA footbed, and synthetic sole with excellent traction, which makes it one of the best snow boots.
4 things to consider before buying hiking boots for snow
It is inappropriate for you not to know the components your boot is made from, and that is why we will share this vital information with you.
1. Hiking boots upper
Different materials can be used for the upper part of your hiking boots, and they include full-grain leather, split-grain leather, nubuck leather, and synthetics. Those are the materials the upper boots of hiking are made from, and you can choose the one that suits you.
it is also called a sock liner or footbed. Just in case you do not know what it is, the insole is a soft and flexible part of the boot that sits right below the sole of your feet. The ventilation of insole for boots varies, but most will make you comfortable using lightweight socks that will keep moisture away. Also, most of them are removable, so you can easily remove and wash to dry before returning for the next outing.
The midsole is another component of the boot you need to know, and it is merely the part of the boot that determines the flexibility, balance, and sturdiness of the boot. The midsole usually consists of either EVA, polyurethane and some can be made with the combination of the two.
The last is the outsole, and it is the link between you the other parts of the boot and the road. Rubber is being used on all hiking boots outsoles. The most important is that the outsole must be hard to offer excellent traction, which makes you safe from slipping when walking on wet or snow terrains.
4 Additional winter boots accessories
I would have said they are essential accessories, but it all depends on you to decide if they are crucial or not. But this is not a form of the debate, so we will go straight to share some of them with you.
Gaiters come in different styles, designs, and lengths. However, it all depends on you to select the one that is best suited to you. Most hiking boots come with a gaiter ring that easily allows you to attach the gaiters to the boot. Gaiters ensure that snow or water does not get into your boot but can also be used during summer to protect your leg from insects such as mosquitoes and ticks.
2. Additional Traction
Most of the hiking boots are made with a boot lip on the toe and heel, which helps to accommodate a crampon, microspike, and snowshoe bindings. All that is important is to ensure the extra traction is compatible with the hiking boots.
If you are going to engage in extreme winter hiking, you will have to consider a crampon. It is an accessory you can overlook, but having it on your boot will enhance your performance and help you have a smooth walk while hiking.
Another hiking boot accessory that you need to consider is your socks. You can wear your boot without using a sock, but wearing one will help to keep your feet warm as it will contribute to trapping the body heat.
We have been able to show our concern on the topic Are hiking boots good for snow? with the solution on this page. There are many hiking boots you will find in the market, but not all of them support the snow period. As for hiking enthusiasts, you do not want any weather conditions to stop you from doing what you love doing, and that is why you should consider the right boot that has all needed to help you through hiking during winter and snow.